This is a list of various online research resources (some free, some paid-for) I’ve found useful. It’s mostly here for my own reference, but if you’re here, I hope you find something of use!
- Archives Hub, brings together descriptions of thousands of the UK’s archive collections
- University of Florida Digital Collections
- The World Digital Library, a Library of Congress collection of “cultural treasures and significant historical documents including books, manuscripts, maps, newspapers, journals, prints and photographs, sound recordings, and films”.
- Oxford Reference, a collection of online versions of Oxford University Press reference works. Account required, but it's available through some library accounts in the UK.
- The Digital Public Library of America — "images, texts, videos, and sounds from across the United States".
- BBC Genome — complete listing of what was shown and when
- Library Hub Discover — brings together the catalogues of major UK and Irish libraries
- British Library Catalogues & Collections
- Royal Academy Exhibitions
- The Old Bailey Online 1674–1910
- International Advertising and Design Database
- Firms Out of Business — mainly publishers, literary agencies, etc.
- Bank of England Inflation Calculator 1209–2018
- The UK National Archives
- National Records of Scotland
- National Library of Scotland Maps
Historical records, newspapers & other periodicals
- Historical Directories of England & Wales (University of Leicester) — various directories from the late-19th and early-20th century
- The Gazette — Official Public Record of the UK
- Newspapers at the Library of Congress — not sure if this has anything different from the next link:
- Library of Congress — All Digitized Newspapers
- The British Newspaper Archive PAID-FOR
- Newspapers.com PAID-FOR
- Hathi Trust digital library
- Welsh Newspapers
- The Guardian 1791–2003 PAID-FOR
- New York Public Library Digitized Collections
- Heidelberg historic literature — digitized, including Pan magazine
- OZ Magazine
- Luminist — pulp magazine archives
- Modernist Magazines Project
- Modernist Journals Project
- Masonic Periodicals Online
- The International Association for the Preservation of Spiritualist and Occult Periodicals
- A Vision of Britain Through Time — includes historical maps, census reports, etc.
- Publishers Weekly 1872–2016, at Archive.org.
- British Book News 1940–1993, at Archive.org.
- British History Online — nearly 1300 volumes of primary and secondary content relating to British and Irish history.
- Hansard online, the official report of all UK Parliamentary debates.
- Timetable world, an online collection of historical transport timetables and maps from around the World.
- Charles Booth's poverty maps of London.
- California Digital Newspaper Collection.
- Gallica — historical French newspapers online.
- Euro Docs: Online Sources for European History
- Google advanced booksearch, includes some newspapers.
Articles & academic papers
- JURN — search free academic articles, chapters and theses
- JSTOR — academic journals, primary sources, and books
- Media History digital library — millions of pages of books and magazines from the histories of film, broadcasting, and recorded sound
- The Unz Review — searchable database that has indexed a large number of periodicals
- The Internet Archive’s Scholar search engine.
- FreeBMD — births, marriages & deaths indexes
- Find My Past (UK) PAID-FOR, with some free records.
- Ancestry (UK) PAID-FOR
- Scotlands People PAID-FOR
- Probate & Will search (UK) PAID-FOR
- Family Search
- Deceased online search free, records PAID-FOR
- Gravestone Photographic Records
- Scotland's Places — historical documents
- Scottish Indexes — historical documents
- Archive.org's Genealogy collection
- Ellis Island passenger records search
- Britain and Ireland SNP and Surname mapper.
- Historical Scottish Post Office Directories.
Data & utilities
- Google Trends — "explore what the world is searching"
- Google Ngram viewer — see the historical frequency of use of words and phrases
Fantasy, SF & horror
- ISFDB — The Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- ...and the ISFDB’s page of bibliographic resources.
- The Fourth Edition of the Encyclopedia of Science Fiction
- Encyclopedia of Fantasy — online version of the 1997 book
- The Encyclopedia of Fantastic Film + Television
- The Locus Index to Science Fiction covers 1984 to 2009
- The FictionMags Index
- The Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Database — database of historical material; books; articles; news reports; interviews; film reviews; commentary; and fan writing
- The Grand Comics database
- The Fanac Fan History Project, contains a lot of scanned fanzines.
- The Historical Dictionary of Science Fiction.
- Archive of Mallorn, the Journal of the Tolkien Society
Books & writers
- Author and Book Info.com — information on about 180,000 authors and 550,000 of their books.